Bryant falls to LIU in the NEC Championship
NORWICH, Connecticut — The Bryant University baseball team’s season came to a close on Sunday when they lost 7-0 to Long Island University in game seven of the 2022 Northeast Conference Baseball Championships at Dodd Stadium.
Bryant forced the crucial seventh game with a 7-2 win over the top-seeded Sharks early Sunday morning. The Bulldogs are ending their 2022 season with an overall record of 30-27.
The Sharks grabbed two unearned runs at the top of the first, then added three big runs in the fifth and two more in the eighth to make it 7-0. The tournament’s most outstanding player, Nick Torres, limited Bryant to just four hits in 6.1 innings. He allowed just one earned run in 15.1 innings against the Bulldogs this year and just one unearned run in 9.0 innings in the NEC tournament.
LIU 7, Bryant 0
Records: Bryant 30-27 | LIU 37-19
Location: Dodd Stadium (Norwich, Connecticut)
W|L|S: Nick Torres (5-2) | Liam LeVangie (3-1)
- A mistake on the first play of the game opened the door for the Sharks as they had two unearned runs in the first game.
How it happened
- LIU’s Seth Surrett hit a check swing to third to start the game, but the throw for first went away, leaving Surrett in second place. Mikey Edelman followed up with an RBI double and Carlton Harper made it 2-0 with a two-out single to mid.
- It remained scoreless until the fifth when Jackson Harrigan was able to turn 3.0 scoreless frames. LIU came to the right in the fifth and opened the inning with two straight singles. After a strikeout, Giovanni Ciaccio scored in the center to make it 3-0. Harper made it 5-0 in one run with a single and a wild pitch. Kyle Rizy got a short pop and a groundball to limit the damage.
- The Sharks added two insurance runs with an RBI single and a HBP with loaded bases in game eight.
Statistics and game notes
- Bryant finishes the NEC tournament 21-13 all-time. Sunday’s game was Bryant University’s final game as a member of the Northeast Conference.
- Bryant made his seventh NEC Championship round appearance. The Bulldogs reached the Finals in 2013 (champions), 2014 (champions), 2015, 2016 (champions), 2019, 2021 and 2022.
- The Bulldogs were playing in game seven of the NEC Championship Round for the third consecutive season and fifth in program history. Bryant finished 4-1 in game seven, losing each of his last four.
- In the last three seventh games, Bryant has had four runs in total.
- With his sixth game win, Bryant celebrated his twelfth season with 30 wins in the last 17 years. This is head coach Ryan Klosterman’s first 30-win season.
- Derek Smith finished the competition with three goals.
- Woods ended the year with 84 hits, which ranked fourth highest in a single season in DI program history.
- Liam LeVangie started for Bryant and allowed the two unearned runs in the first.
- Harrigan allowed three runs with three hits, walked four and batted four over 3.1 innings.
- Rizy made his third appearance at the championships and recorded two outs. He pitched 5.0 innings in three appearances.
- Jackson Vanesko threw 2.0 innings of relief and allowed two runs with two hits. He walked three and hit two.
- MT Morrissey recorded two outs in the eighth while Austin Wainer recorded the last four outs. Wainer hit three and nine in the ninth in three tournament appearances (6.1 innings).