New London Daily: New details for the Shooting + Artist Awards
Welcome back, New London. This is where you’ll find all of the local news, events, and community posts you need for Wednesday September 1st.
First the weather today: Heavy rain all day. High: 72 Low: 69.
Here are the top stories in New London today:
- New London Artists To Be Honored With The Connecticut Arts Hero Awards: Two New London artists will be honored at the Nationwide Hero Awards event this week. (theday.com)
- Arrest warrants point to video evidence, statements led to arrests in New London killing teenagers: New details emerged from court documents after three men were charged with the fatal shooting of a 17-year-old boy in New London. (theday.com)
- New London Green Party Announces Candidates for Office: The party has announced that it will put up three candidates for local office in the upcoming elections. (theday.com)
- (New London patch)
- Who is hiring in the New London area? Check out the new local jobs (New London Patch)
Tired of Paying Too Much for Your Prescriptions? GoodRx helps you find the lowest drug prices in local pharmacies. Also works for veterinary drugs! GoodRx is also helping bring the Daily to New London. Support our sponsor and See how much you can save by going GoodRx.com.
Today in New London
- Teen Kit – Magnetic Slime – Public Library of New London (12:00 PM)
- New London Job Club – New London Public Library (4:00 PM)
- New track: “Solace” (7:00 p.m.)
New London Patch Notebook
- US Coast Guard Barque EAGLE: “At the end of each cadet phase and each swab, the trainees took part in the EAGLE Olympics. One of the highlights was the throwing line. Do you remember the throwing line? Image rights: PA3 Matt Thieme #USCG #CGCEAGLE …” (Facebook)
- U.S. Coast Guard Academy: “#USCGA was honored today to host Senate Commerce Committee officials! Our guests toured the campus and learned about the enhanced capabilities of new US Coast Guard facilities and the Academy’s investments in construction …” (Facebook)
- Navy Submarine Base New London: “Any shellbacks or blue noses here? Any members of the Grand Order of the Muskies? Https://www.facebook.com/NavalInstitute/posts/10159405294202173” (Facebook)
- Navy Submarine Base New London: “We salute the troops we lost in the attacks in Kabul. #TilValhalla https://www.facebook.com/USNavy/photos/a.249644752822/10158333655357823/” (Facebook)
- Connecticut College: “Have a nice first day of class, Camels! #Conncoll” (Facebook)
- Navy Submarine Base New London: “#ICYMI Oscar Mayer Wienermobile paid a visit to SUBASE New London and the SUBASE Chief Petty Officers Association and the First Lieutenant Office served free hot dogs on August 19th.” (Facebook)
- Connecticut College: “Introducing classes 2025 and 2024! Both classes will experience their first personal convocation in Conn. The convocation is the official opening of the academic year. # ConnColl2025” (Facebook)
- Herd theater: “Congratulations to our Executive Artistic Director, Derron Wood, who has become one of this year’s CT Arts Heroes! Https://www.theday.com/aemusic/20210831/new-london-artists-to-be-honored-with -connecticut -art-heroes-awards “(Facebook)
- New London Police: “BREAKING NEWS ………… The ice cream patrol of the NLPD will be in different areas today to serve ice cream to the youngsters! Be vigilant !!!!!” (Facebook)
- New London Public Library, CT: “Our little free library kiosk at New London Union Station is replenished and ready to go! The next time you’re on Water Street, be sure to stop by and grab a book!” (Facebook)
- Coast Guard Academy Lacrosse: “BEARS START SCHOOL PT III: I just saw this great photo of COAST GUARD ACADEMY MEN’S LACROSSE player Cadet 3 / c Ian Feely (Attack-Midfield / Spring Branch, TX / Smithson Valley) taking his first day of class in New London is leaving …. “(Facebook)
- Mitchell College: “This week we meet alumni Priscilla Huyhua ’20! When Priscilla Huyhua ’20 thinks of Mitchell College, she realizes everything it has done for her future. Since her bachelor’s degrees in both early childhood st …” (Facebook)
- The Williams School: “It’s official… We have started our 131st year! It was amazing to have all of our students in the PAC together for the call-up! New and returning students are already connecting with each other in classes and we are looking forward to … “(Facebook)
- Thames at Mitchell College: “A few pictures from Thames Anchors Aweigh on Friday! Hopefully your first day of class went well, Mariners! # Fall2021 # ThamesClassOf2022” (Facebook)
- New London Public Library, CT: “We still have seeds to pick up at our information desk! https://bit.ly/3BrYKvU to fill out the seed request form and stock it up for the next year! “(Facebook)
- RMMS – New London: “Good evening RMMS families, we hope your child had a great first day of school! We apologize for the news as we try to provide the most positive arrival and discharge experience for our students and families. In response to the … “(Facebook)
- CB Jennings Elementary School: “Teachers from CB Jennings International Elementary Magnet School started their first day of International Baccalaureate Training today. Teachers have been asked to build International Mindedness in the IB Learner Profile. #NLPS #NewLond …” (Facebook)
- Spark Makerspace: “In case you haven’t seen us, our sign is now on the building. @Thamesriverinnovation” (Facebook)
- Cultural coalition – cultural sects: “Two New London-based artists are among the 18 artists honored with the Connecticut Arts Hero Awards on Wednesday night.” (Facebook)
- Sailing Festival New London: “Eat In The Street with Fireworks – The Latin Heritage celebration has been postponed to September 26th to coincide with the We Are New London Parade.” (Facebook)
- Mitchell College: “We think our new employees are great and we would like to introduce you to some of the friendly faces you will see on campus this fall! Meet Victoria (Torri) Hieber, Mitchell’s Hospitality Director today! Why M. .. “(Facebook)
- New London Public Library, CT: “Whether it’s your first time creating a resume or just need someone to proofread your existing document, our librarians are here to help! Our staff can help you get started and suggest ways to improve your chances. .. “(Facebook)
- Lyman Allyn Art Museum: “A perfect New England summer’s day! Who takes the opportunity and spends time on the water?. Henry Ward Ranger, Mason’s Island Cove, c. 1900, oil on wood. Gift from T. Colville, in exchange. 1974.167” (Facebook)
- Higher margin: “Many thanks to United Way of Southeastern CT! For not just choosing Higher Edge as your partner agency …Facebook)
- Southeast Connecticut Children and Family Agency: “International Overdose Awareness Day (IOAD) is a global event that aims to raise awareness of overdose and reduce the stigma of drug-related death. For many of us, overdose is part of our personal history. International Overdose Awarenes …” (Facebook)
- Customs House Maritime Museum: “It’s fun, it’s gorgeous, it’s this Wednesday! Https://www.facebook.com/events/384821403076988?acontext=%7B%22event_action_history%22%3A” (Facebook)
- Charles E. Shain Library: “If you need help with printing, just ask one of the service desks. We’ll be happy to help!” (Facebook)
- New London Public Library, CT: “The governor has declared Overdose Awareness Day in Connecticut on August 31st to help raise awareness and reduce stigma about the nationwide opioid overdose problem.Facebook)
From our sponsors – thank you for supporting local news!
Now you’re up to date and ready to walk out the door this Wednesday. I’ll be in your inbox with another update tomorrow! If you like these newsletters, be sure to invite some of your friends and neighbors to follow them. You can send them this link to subscribe.
– Chris Ratigan
About me: Chris Rhatigan is a freelance writer and editor. He previously worked for publications such as The New Haven Register and The Iowa City Press-Citizen.
Do you have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming New London Daily? You can email me at [email protected]