NU ends autumn at the Viking Invitational
NIAGARA UNIVERSITY, NY – The men’s tennis program ended the game at the Viking Invitational on Saturday night, completing the fall schedule. Niagara took a total of seven wins, including four in singles and three in doubles.
• Eduardo Villalpando and Jorge Sedeno won the three individual victories from Niagara at the weekend.
• Sedeno won two games, the first on Friday by beating Zach Trimpe von Butler, 6-3, 6-0. The second was over Tom Owen from UB, 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (4) on Saturday.
• Villalpando won his first game of the weekend 6-1, 7-5 in straight sets against Max Decurtins of Dayton.
• Gerber Bedard fell in his round 64 individual match, but took a win in the back-draw bracket. The win came against Murphy by UB, 7-5, 6-0.
• Matt Andrus fell in straight sets to Buffalo’s Greg Hastings, 6-1, 6-2.
• Student in the first year Gurustat Makkar went to three sets with Asier Pena Ibanez from Youngstown. Makkar won the first set 6: 3, but fell 6: 2, 1: 0 (4) in the second and third sets.
• Manuel Alonso compared to Dayton’s Matt Demarco. The two went to three sets, with Demarco leading, 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (6).
• Villalpando and Berdard clinched a win in doubles on Friday, defeating CSU’s Chatras and Staiger 6-3
• The duo lost in their second game of the Daytons Demarco and Demarco with a final score of 6-2.
• Alonso and Sedeno fell 6-1 to Butlers Dickson and Carr on Friday.
• The Final of the Purple Eagles doubles the pairing of Andrus and William Gothlin dropped her match with Temming and Nakayama from Xavier 6-4.
• Alonso and Makkar met their teammates Andrus and Gothlin in the second half of the last 32. The latter duo won the game 6-3.
• Villalpando and Bedard played two games in the round of 16, winning Xavier’s Kammerer and Pennelli 6-2.
• The Purple and White have completed the fall portion of their schedule and will be back in action in February 2022.