Principal Adviser – Climate and Health
About the role
FUNCTION OF DEPARTMENT
Helping clients improve health and humanitarian outcomes for citizens in low- and middle-income countries. Contribute to Crown Agents’ success by delivering profitable business outcomes and growing Crown Agent’s reputation as a world-class provider for strengthening quality and inclusive healthcare systems, the healthcare supply chain, and humanitarian solutions.
This is an exciting new role within Crown Agents’ global health team, reporting to the Director of Global Health. The role will focus on leading and growing Crown Agents’ healthcare and climate portfolio and positioning Crown Agents strongly in the marketplace. This includes ensuring our programs deliver high technical quality, ensuring we meet and exceed expectations for both program outcomes and outcomes and client satisfaction, and ensuring we build on existing programs to deliver a ensure healthy program pipeline .
The role will work closely with the director for climate and energy. This role spans the Global Health and Climate and Energy practice areas, bringing together knowledge and best practices from the two portfolios. Within healthcare practice, the role will also work closely with other technical leaders to ensure that cross-cutting areas such as digital health, quality and accessible services, health financing and health supply chain are appropriately embedded in delivery strategies and provide technical input into the respective areas needed.
The role will develop and own Crown Agents’ climate and health strategy and provide thought leadership on best practices and innovation opportunities.
The role will develop and deepen client relationships with a select group of clients and represent Crown Agents as needed.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF JOB
- Developing Crown Agents’ climate and health strategy to ensure the company is strongly positioned in this emerging market as both a thought and practice leader, including by leveraging the company’s existing strengths and capabilities in the areas of health, climate and energy, strengthening systems of government and supply chain and the broader business where relevant.
- Supporting the integration of cross-cutting issues such as climate resilience, low-carbon healthcare systems, climate-resilient services for healthcare institutions, sustainable energy access, healthcare financing, healthcare supply chain into the service portfolio.
- Overseeing the technical quality of climate and health programs, using internal and external experts as appropriate.
- Stay current on global climate and health best practices and trends and ensure these are incorporated into the delivery of existing and new programs.
- Leadership in climate and health communications, including the development and presentation of technical briefings, webinars, journal articles or contract research, is required to underpin Crown Agents’ technical depth in this area.
- Bring in other areas of technical expertise as appropriate.
Business Success (20%)
- Coordinate the implementation of the climate and health strategy through proactive business development, including building relationships with key customers, developing a partner network and monitoring climate and energy market trends.
- In line with the climate and health strategy, work with the Crown Agents communications team to develop marketing materials that provide credible arguments for attracting new work in this technical area.
- Win significant climate and healthcare deals to help clients (including national governments and international donors) transition to high-performing, climate-resilient healthcare systems.
- Participate in identifying, reviewing and negotiating with consortium partners for relevant programs and provide technical input.
- Proactively generate new business opportunities, especially with new funders, by helping clients identify and understand their vision/goals for change.
- Where appropriate, support and leadership in attracting climate and health businesses, e.g. B. Writing technical sections for proposals, directing program design, conducting bid reviews and serving as bid director where appropriate.
- Act as program director for relevant climate and health programs.
- Provide leadership support for programs with a climate and health component.
- Providing short-term technical support for climate and health programs.
- Work with Crown Agents’ Program Management Office to ensure quality assurance, risk management and M&E on all projects meet or exceed agreed development outcomes
- As part of a broader continuous improvement role, you will support and challenge other project team leaders to meet or exceed agreed climate and health development outcomes.
- Line management of relevant employees, whose professional development is supported as required.
Raising the profile of Crown agents
- Contribute and, where appropriate, lead the production of communications and outward-facing products, such as
- Build and maintain close relationships and effective networks with our customers, partners and consultants, contribute to the organization’s marketing activities and represent Crown Agents at a high level externally.
- Act as a resource for Crown agents to provide support with external relationships, stakeholder engagement, external and internal communications, technical briefings and other business.
- Observe and follow all standards that follow protection procedures and policies. Foster the Crown Agents speak-up culture to protect the well-being of children, youth and vulnerable adults
- Observe and follow Company quality standards and procedures in line with Crown Agents commitment to work to the highest quality standards and strive for continuous improvement
- If necessary, carry out international and national trips for consulting and research assignments
If necessary, the job holder must
- conduct all procurement in accordance with Good Distribution Practice (GDP) under the terms of our Wholesale Distribution Authorization (Human) (WDA(H)) issued by the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) and our United Kingdom Controlled Drug License was published by the Ministry of the Interior
- ensure that all procurements are carried out using the appropriate operational IT systems of the company
Any other duties appropriate to the position, as requested
- Masters or equivalent professional experience in climate and health or a related subject.
- You are a senior individual who can bring a good technical understanding of climate and health, as well as a strong ability to think strategically and solve complex problems
- Extensive and demonstrable experience in leading climate and/or health programs.
- Experience of working with a variety of clients and governments of Low and Middle Income Countries (LMIC).
- Management and leadership experience of a significant development contract within a multilateral, bilateral advisory organization or NGO, with significant experience in an LMIC.
- Excellent understanding and proven experience of the practical aspects of designing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating high quality climate and/or health programs.
- Experience working in multiple country contexts.
- Proven experience in writing technical grants and strategies to win businesses.
- Experience working with a range of stakeholders (including but not limited to UK Government, GAVI, TGF, USG, UN Departments, Foundations etc.)
- Excellent organizational and program management experience, including people work plans, budget management, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to effectively manage a variety of relationships in a multicultural environment and to negotiate with internal and external stakeholders;
- Experience building partnerships/consortia for development and humanitarian finance and negotiating programmatic contractual arrangements with partners.
- Understanding of program operations, including procurement and distribution of healthcare products
- Extensive international health or climate program management at senior management level in large or transnational health projects in Africa or Asia
- Familiarity with the latest global knowledge on climate and health in LMICs and/or conflict-affected and humanitarian settings.
- Familiarity with technical concepts, best practices and programs covering a range of climate and health issues
- Strong understanding and skills in social, policy-oriented and programming research, monitoring and evaluation, and quality assurance