Miceli claims Sportsmanship Award from ITA
Director / Strategic Brand Engagement
CINCINNATI — University of Cincinnati tennis outstanding Emma Miceli received the ITA’s Cissie Leary Sportsmanship Award for the Ohio Valley region this week.
The national winners will be announced on Monday. Miceli is the first such UC recipient since Kelly Poggensee-Wei in 2017. The ITA/Cissie Leary Award for Sportsmanship, first presented in 1997, was presented annually to a Division I player who inspires dedication and commitment to her team indicates. which has enhanced her team’s performance and exemplified the spirit of collegiate tennis. The award is named after the late and widely admired Cissie Leary, who was Penn’s women’s tennis coach.
Miceli, a native of Mississauga, Ontario, also earned a spot on CoSIDA’s Academic All-District Team on May 23. She was 14-5 in singles and 9-9 in doubles, and reached 77-34 in singles for her career. The Bearcats’ season had an 11-game winning streak between January 29 and March 20, the longest in school history.
Miceli earned her bachelor’s degree in accounting in spring 2021 and was working on her master’s in the same program last year. She had an undergraduate GPA of 3.96 and a 3.97 GPA as a graduate student. She is the program’s first CoSIDA honoree since Hannah Wille achieved Academic All-America status in 2016. Elizabeth Pendergast also joins Miceli on the 2022 Honor Roll after being named All-AAC in early May.
Ohio Valley Region Award Winner
- Wilson ITA Coach of the Year: Hayden Perez, University of Memphis
- ITA Assistant Coach of the Year: Ryan Haymond, University of Memphis
- Arthur Ashe leadership and sportsmanship: Anna Ross, Vanderbilt University
- ITA Cissie Leary Sportsmanship Award: Emma MiceliUniversity of Cincinnati
- ITA Rookie of the Year: Elza Tomase, University of Tennessee
- ITA Most Improved Senior: Tenika McGiffin, University of Tennessee
- ITA Senior Player of the Year: Rebeka Mertena, University of Tennessee
- ITA Prize for Community Service: Austin Peay State University and Middle Tennessee State University