The Mary Sue is Hiring a Freelance Editor!
The Mary-Sue is looking for a talented freelance editor to lead our SEO focused content! We are looking for a detail-obsessed individual who understands our intersectional feminist perspective on geek culture and has significant knowledge and passion for fandom, feminism, pop culture, politics, films, television, comics, books, technology, crazy internet memes and more!
Do you have fifteen notifications from different sources on your phone when there is an update on the next news for your favorite franchise? Love nothing more than chasing typos, getting poetic about grammar, and celebrating the joys of punctuation? We want to hear from you.
So what are the job expectations? The freelance editor reports to the co-editors and works with an enthusiastic team of freelance writers. Editing skills are at the top of our list, ensuring that all posts are error-free and meet our style guidelines and quality standards. Speed is also key – we will be producing a lot of content! A keen eye for proofreading, research and factual accuracy is paramount, and SEO skills are a huge plus. If you’re also a writer, all the better – this role can also be appointed to write top priority posts if needed.
Freelance Editor is paid $2,000 per month for 25 hours per week with flexible hours. There’s the added flexibility of writing content when you’re not on shift to edit, at normal Mary Sue freelance rates for extra income if desired. Remote candidates are welcome.
What other elements do we look for in a budding freelance editor?
- Someone who prides himself on being labeled a geek and a feminist.
- A confident editor who has a knack for providing clear information and supportive feedback to his team.
- Familiarity with WordPress/blogging platforms and social media channels.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices.
- A multitasker who can analyze a large amount of information in a short amount of time and loves to make a good sentence even better.
- The ability to write and edit quickly, cleanly and accurately.
- Previous freelance experience.
What do we want to send to in your application [email protected]?
- The subject line of your email must be: “TMS Freelance Editor 2022”.
- A short cover letter as the BODY of your email.
- Your CV (as an attachment) or your LinkedIn profile (choose one).
- Links to pieces you copied or descriptions of the project.
- Links to your personal website/portfolio/blog, podcasts/videos and/or public social media accounts that you wish to share.
The Mary-Sue has made a name for itself as a feminist, inclusive place for nerds and geeks of all stripes, reaching millions of readers each month with great content, from fun insights into the latest internet trends to incisive social commentary on pop culture and news. We have big plans for 2022 and are looking for talented writers and editors who can help us explode this established readership in the coming year, and we’re excited to see the opportunities that growth opens up The Mary Sue’s future.
Do you have a tip we should know? [email protected]